September 22, 2016

Study in Japan



The Intercultural Institute of Japan is a renowned Japanese language school with schools in the hub of Tokyo. It has schools in Akihabara (Tokyo's discount electronics store district) and Iidabashi (a major interchange station in the middle of Tokyo).

A To Z is proud to be the only official affiliate of the Intercultural Institute of Japan in Malaysia.


Japanese Language Course


Weekly Course

Jet Academy (Tokyo)

JET Academy is located in front of Itabashi Station (near Ikebukuro), Tokyo. It has been appointed as a ‘Preparatory School’ and is able to supervise student who wish to enter universities in Japan. In Japan, students are required to have 12 years of formal education before entering university. JET Academy can provide Malaysian students who receive only 11 years of education after high school with the extra year of preparation before university. Many of JET’s students have passed the JLPT tests and also gone on to study in several universities all over Japan.


College Preparatory Course
Japanese Language Course


Short-term Course
Summer Short-term Course


  • Fully completed 12 years of primary & secondary education.
    [more info]
  • Passed JLPT N2 (minimum requirement).
  • Taken the EJU Exam.
  • Other requirements may vary depending on the university.



Is completing Form 5 sufficient to be eligible for admission into a Japanese university?
No. Students who have only completed 11 years of primary & secondary education are required to enroll for the College Preparatory Course in order to make up for the remaining 1 year that is required.

Completing O-Levels is the same as completing Form 5, right?
Does this also mean that I am eligible after taking the College Preparatory Course?
Sadly, no. Through our past experiences, most universities in Japan do not accept students who have completed O-Levels although they (students) have also completed the College Preparatory Course. This could be due to the standards that were set by the universities.
Our advise is for students to complete A-Levels prior to enrolling for the College Preparatory Course.

Doesn't this mean that I am required to study for another year or two just to be eligible?
Yes. There is very little we can do about this situation due to the rules set by the university.
The other option is to enroll for a Japanese College (専門学校) instead. However, as the requirements vary among colleges as well, we advise students to enquire with a few colleges pertaining this matter before enrolling the College Preparatory Course.

I have completed Form 6 or A-Levels, am I eligible without taking the College Preparatory Course?
Yes. This is assuming that you have met the other requirements set by the universities.
However, we encourage students who would like to aim for public universities to enroll the College Preparatory Course as the standards and requirements set by the public universities are much higher.

Wait, I'm confused... I have "fully completed 12 years of primary & secondary education".
Why do I still need to enroll for the College Preparatory Course if I have met that requirement?

Being accepted by the university (both public and private institutions) is a decision made solely by the university. Having met all basic requirements does not mean that you will automatically be accepted.
As the competition is very tough (especially for public universities), even having completed the College Preparatory Course does not guarentee getting a place in the university, but our past experiences have shown that doing so will greatly increase your chances of getting accepted.

That being said, taking up the College Preparatory Course is not compulsory (unless stated as a requirement by the university) for those who have completed Form 6 or A-Levels.

When is the application period for the long term courses?
The application period varies among schools and prefectures.
A rough estimation for the closing date is 6 months prior to the commencement of the intake for schools in Tokyo.

Can I work part-time while studying in Japan?
Yes, the student visa allows students to work up to 28 hours a week.
Please take note that some schools prohibit students from taking up part-time jobs.
JET Academy (Tokyo) prohibits students in the College Preparatory Course from taking up part-time jobs at all times (including weekends & long/short holidays).

Students attending short-term courses in any schools are not allowed to work as they will be going with the short-term stay (visitor) visa.

Shouldn't I be applying for a student visa if I am going over to study even though it's a short-term course? Is this even legal?
The student visa can only be applied by those taking the long-term courses (minimun 1 year). Applying for a student visa for the short-term course is not necessary.
It is legal as long as your stay in Japan does not exceed the allowed period given. As such, the maximum period for the short-term courses is set at 3 months or 90 days.

For further enquiries, please contact us at

Important Note:
The information mentioned above are meant for MALAYSIAN STUDENTS.
Please contact the Embassy of Japan in your country to find out more on the requirements for students in your country.